Week 4: Broadway

This week I decided to look into the photography of one of my dreams: Broadway. I've only been to one Broadway show in my life so far, The Lion King in London, and I was blown away. Up close and in person, the artistry, attention to detail, hard work, and inspiration that goes into and comes out of one of those shows is an incredible thing to witness. Broadway is a world built on story-telling and excitement. It takes people out of their lives momentarily; it's a world with different possibilities.

I've discovered that photographs of this world can do exactly the same thing.

I want to be a part of Newsies, Wicked, The Lion King, Aladdin, and Bandstand because the pictures I've seen are completely captivating. They not only capture the environment and emotion of parts of the show, they somehow capture the energy, too. And once you feel that transfer of energy from the photo to you, you can't not see it. It's contagious, and it's colorful, and it's dynamic. Photography on Broadway is just as much an art as Broadway itself, and it's successfully drawing in masses of people.

I ventured across Matthew Murphy's photography website in my searching, and looked through his production works. He is currently a leading photographer on Broadway, one of an elite few, and rightfully so.

The Lion King




Kinky Boots










Jasper In Deadland




























Photos: (1) The Lion King National Tour, (2) Kinky Boots Broadway, (3) Jasper in Deadland 5th Avenue

Link to photos and website: http://www.murphymade.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: To End

I knew nothing about photography coming into this course in August. I had no idea what all the buttons on a camera even meant or did. Looki...