Week 12: Snow Tips



This week, I've had snow on the brain.
I found an article entitled "7 Tips for Taking Photographs in the Snow" which reminded me of some things I already know and enlightened me on some things I don't. Suggestions I knew included using a bag as protection from water, shooting raw, and referring to your histogram for more accurate readings. Suggestions I didn't know were finding the right white balance and overexposing to compensate. Snow leans to the blue side of color, so the article suggests adjusting your white balance in order to portray the real color of snow. Their tip was to use the flash setting as one way of doing this. The tip that surprised me the most was overexposing the picture to compensate for the camera reading snow at 18% gray. "Adding one-third or two-thirds exposure compensation" can ensure the snow stays white in the photo. Lastly, their talk about the composition of a snowy picture as a whole echoes our rules of dominance. Lots of whites contrasted with a person in a red coat or a red barn bring that snowy scene to life by drawing us in. Photographing in black and white can create clear and clean snowy images, as well.

Link to photo and article: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/7-tips-taking-photographs-snow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: To End

I knew nothing about photography coming into this course in August. I had no idea what all the buttons on a camera even meant or did. Looki...