Week 2: Learning

Best camera settings for photographing traffic trails
I know almost nothing about photography, so this week I decided to explore. In my searching, I came across a website called Camera Jabber, and, in it, this picture of a highway that caught my attention. It's accompanying article, entitled "Best Camera Settings for Photographing Traffic Trails" in the "Photography Tips" section of the website, sheds some, pardon the pun, informative light on how best to photograph a trail of traffic. In the article, they describe how challenging this kind of night photography can be because of the mix of darkness (night time) and bright highlights (street lamps and head lights). They advise setting your camera to manual exposure mode, setting the aperture to f/8, the shutter speed to 30 seconds, the sensitivity to ISO 200, the white balance to tungsten, and shooting in raw file format. It was quite to the point, providing an answer to a potential photographer's question. Now, I have no idea what any of that means. But, I do know that I would love to be able to create a picture like that. Even more, I would love to learn HOW to create a picture like that, and I think the helpful hints and tips from this article are stepping stones in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 15: To End

I knew nothing about photography coming into this course in August. I had no idea what all the buttons on a camera even meant or did. Looki...